Microsoft Security Essentials Installation Instructions
Remove All Real-Time Scanning Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware Products
This is a critical step that should be taken before installing any anti-virus or
anti-malware application, including Microsoft Security Essentials. Leaving
multiple real-time scanning products on your computer will cause significant performance
decrease, resulting in system stability issues, and may also limit the effectiveness
of the products installed.
To remove McAfee or any other anti-virus program:
- Open the Start Menu, and select Control Panel.
- Change the Control Panel view to Icon View (Classic Mode).
- Select Programs and Features (Add or Remove Programs)
- Select McAfee Enterprise (or your current anti-virus/anti-malware
product, and select Remove (Uninstall).
- Follow the on-screen process, and reboot your computer if prompted.
Installing Microsoft Security Essentials
Microsoft Security Essentials is compatible with Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7.
- Visit the Microsoft Security Essentials download page at
- Click the download button.
- Save the installation file to your Downloads folder
or the Desktop. (This may vary by personal preference or browser
once the download is complete, or locate the file and double-click
- Follow the on-screen instructions to Accept the license agreement
and prepare the installation.
Note: It is recommended that the Windows Firewall is turned on. MSE will automatically
turn the firewall on, if it is not already.
- Allow the installation process to complete.
- Once the installation is complete, Microsoft Security Essentials will check for
new definition updates, and run a quick scan on your machine. This process could
take several minutes, depending on the size of your computer hard drive. This is
an essential step and should not be skipped!